Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Paul's Stance on Assurance

I Cor 4:1-5 '1Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. 2In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. 3But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts; and then each man's praise will come to him from God.'

Paul is not one known for a feeble mind, unable to follow a logical argument to its conclusion. Here, though, he doesn't present an complex argument for why he knows he is one of the chosen, rather he appropriately submits even his ASSURANCE to God, whose judgement will be revealed when '...the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men's hearts.'

We might learn something here. When Paul wants to encourage his brothers in their assurance he gives them one simple test. II Cor 13:5 'Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?' No long involved series of theological propositions, just a relationship check.

No comments: