Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Theological Reality Dose II

Someone might ask me if I consider myself saved. I would say that I am confident that I am being saved and I would heartily echo Paul's words in Romans "we are closer to salvation today than when we first believed." Also in Romans 8 Paul says that "Hope saves us, but hope that is realized is not hope" implying that however tangible the things of God are to us in this present day, they point to the reality of the promise of salvation which has been secured for us by the Christ. In Romans 5 Paul says that "having been justified...we exult in the hope of the glory of God." That is salvation! Immediately he adds that "we rejoice in our tribulations because they bring perseverance which produces proven character which produces (here it is again) hope." So the hope that propels us toward our future salvation is strengthened by our 'proven character,' or you might say our good works. Faith and hope then are strengthened in an environment of righteous living. So I can't be justified by my works but I might be saved by works if that is the only medium for the establishment and growth of true faith. Did James say something like this?

No comments: