Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Which should I first seek first??

Mt 6:33 says to 'seek first His kingdom and His righteousness;' literally it is be seeking first the kingdom (of God) and the righteousness of Him. We touched on this verse in a recent bible study and I have gone back to it a number of times in the past weeks thinking about how to best 'make it mine.' The need to do this is necessary for me because I feel the Holy Spirit is working on me in this area. So after studying it and reading it over a number of times I was working over in my head how the seemingly two objects of our primary search are actually one. So we might translate this as 'seek first His righteous kingdom' or 'His kingdom of righteousness.' The absurdity of seeing our search as an absolutely primary one but with two objects hit me tonight when I asked myself 'which I should seek out first?'. Perhaps I could find a study mate to share the task. I will spend my time searching for the kingdom and not worry about righteousness and my buddy will do the opposite. Then we can compare notes and save ourselves each all the hassle of finding them both.

Throughout our Christian walk we must be seeking His kingdom which is characterized by righteousness. His imputed righteousness allows us the advantage of conducting our 'search' under the leading of the Holy Spirit, but the imputed righteousness does not free us from the need to be finding / experiencing / functioning in the Kingdom righteously.

No comments: